On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 20:57, chris.hamilton-emery wrote:
> A few quick questions . . .
>
> How does TEI handle indentation patterns and whitespace?

you can encode individuals amounts of identation with
a <space> element. if there is a pattern, encode it as
 <line type="one">...</line>
 <line type="tother">...</line>
or perhaps "rend" instead of "type".

> If a stanza has a regular stanzaic form can one capture indentation? Or do
> we encode unicode tabs (is that &#x0009; ?).

personally, I'd say bad bad idea to put in tabs or (worse) non-breaking
spaces. <space> has a flexible attribute to cover eventualities

> I'm working in XML so I presume
> I can ignore named entities and just code everything in UTF-8?

up to you. if named entities are easier for you, use them.

> If one has poetry which has to preserve whitespace and say typographic
> changes (Black Mountain stuff, "Composition By Field that kind of thing) how
> does one align random elements or position things against each other? Is it
> a case of using non-breaking spaces and hoping for the best? Can one specify
> a font and font size or FO characteristics?

much much better to say
 <foo rend="somesortofthing">
and then let a later stylesheet sort out how to map that into
FO or CSS characteristics.

you *could* decide to use "rend" to embed FO characteristics, as in
 <foo rend="font-size='10pt';font-style='bold'">
(ie like an HTML style attribute), if you thought that this was
core information, and not rendering sugar. In your case, you
might well make that argument. If so, using FO characteristics
is not such a bad idea.

alternatively (and this gets radical), intersperse your TEI XML with
elements in the FO namespace:

 <lg>
 <fo:inline font-family="Gill Sans"><l>to be or not to
   be</l></fo:inline>
 </lg>

but a) I don't expect everyone on TEI-L to agree with this; and b) it
throws DTDs out the window and makes you use a schema for validation.
Its doable, but buy some time from Jeni T to help sort out the details!

the same trick could be played with SVG, of course, intertwingled with
TEI.

> Poetry can stretch the idea of separating content and style, as the style
> can be the content in experimental poetry.

its a fair point. dont feel constrained to go down the "rend" route
if it seems artificial

sebastian