We (The unit for digital documentation at the Arts faculty, University of
Oslo, Norway) has since 1992 and still is creating information systems for
the archaeological museums in Norway. A major information source is old
catalogues and reports. The texts are encoded in XML/SGML according to the
semantic content (see the example on the end of this message).  We have
done this for more than 30 000 pages of printed test. My question to the
list is: Does somebody knows any more formal initiative (e.g. TEI based) in
the area of archaeology and text encoding?

Christian-Emil Ore
****************
<CATYEAR>
<INTRO> <MNAME>UNIVERSITETETS OLDSAKSAMLING TILVEKST
<YEAR>1989 </INTRO>
[...]
<NRPAR><CATNR nrid="37267">C.37267. <ARTEFDATA><ARTEFACT>Axe</ARTEFACT> of
<MAT>iron</MAT> <SHARED>from <AGE>Late Medieval time</AGE>. <ARTEFDATA>
<MEAS>L: 141mm</MEAS>, <MEAS>edge W:109mm</MEAS>. Carpenter's axe with
<FORM>specially shaped </FORM> blade to accommodate the fingers when it is
held just "behind" the edge. Particularly necessary for fine work,
  when used at an angle to the edge, or as a gouge.
<SHARED>Found<FINDLOC>on the hill, about 300m above <LOC>ÅROS KAPELL</LOC>,
<FARM>SJØGLØTT</FARM>, <PARISHD><PARISH>ÅROS</PARISH></PARISHD>,
<MUNICIPALITY>RØYKEN</MUNICIPALITY>, <COUNTY>BUSKERUD</COUNTY></FINDLOC>,
in 1959 by <FINDER>Berge Narvik<
/FINDER>, Tjernsrudveien 24, Jar, Oslo. </SHARED> </NRPAR>

(Translated exerpt from the similar catalogues from the archaeological
museum in Oslo)