The project requirements are not clear to me, but here
are a couple leads:

Consortium for Interchange of Museum Information (CIMI)
http://xml.coverpages.org/cimi.html

SPECTRUM XML-DTD Testbed Project
http://www.cimi.org/wg/xml_spectrum/xml_testbed_desc.html

XML System for Textual and Archaeological Research (XSTAR)
http://xml.coverpages.org/xstar.html
http://www.oi.uchicago.edu/OI/PROJ/XSTAR/Schemas.html

- Robin

Robin Cover