In message <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:
> Hello all,
>
> I hope you will forgive a question from a newcomer to the
> TEI.

Newcomers are always welcome!

> I am currently building an online annotated bibliography,
> essentially a reference source for literary scholars in my
> period.  I've written a DTD to describe the various items
> being cataloged--scholarly monographs (complete with
> publisher's descriptions, tables of contents, links to
> reviews, and so forth), journal articles, articles from
> edited collections, primary text editions (both scholarly
> and pedagogical), websites, etc.

All of the items you mention are also addressed in the TEI Guidelines. In particular, there is extensive coverage of bibliographic structures anmd references in sections 6.9 and 6.10 (or http://www.tei-c.org/Guidelines/CO.html#COBI if you prefer)

The idea has been to
> produce a DTD that will sensibly record both the publication
> info of a typical scholarly citation along with some
> annotations and keywords that will facilitate a search of
> the bibliography.  I need to know how well my DTD
> coordinates with any work that has already been done in this
> area.
> My question is this:  Is there some subset of the TEI that
> would serve this bibliographical purpose?

Yes

 Alternatively, is
> there some DTD already in common use for the purpose of
> describing items in an annotated scholarly bibliography?

Yes, again. Aside from the TEI, there is bibTex and a range of derivatives.

> Any suggestions would be most welcome--I am very new to this
> field.

Good luck. You'll find this a fairly well-trodden area -- plenty of opportunity for good mud fights.