Roger Mills wrte:
>Andreas Johansson wrote:
>

> >Mat wrote:
> >>For a past subjunctive, check "if I were you". If it was an ordinary
>past
> >>tense, it would be "if I was you", and in fact that's the standard
> >>colloquial British English form for more working-class speakers.
>
>True in the US, as well. Though it offends the ears of pedants like me.
> >
> >That's about the only subjunctive I'm using in my L2 English. Probably
> >picked it up from TV - certainly didn't learn it in school, at any rate.
> >
>In formal/academic writing, you can still encounter things like:
>"Were there more data, we could hypothesize........" = "if there were more
>data...."
>In speech, this would likely occasion raised eyebrows.
>
>and the pluperfect:
>"Had the Albanians produced an A-bomb, the course of WW II would have been
>quite different"
>Fewer raised eyebrows for some reason, but still very high-flown or
>bookish.
>Note that these parallel the construction often encountered in  German and
>Dutch (written, at least), where "if" is unnecessary provided the verb is
>in
>the subjunctive.  Has Swedish lost that?

As someone said, you never know the grammar of your L1. It'd never occured
to me that you've got a subjunctive in sentences like _Hade albanerna
producerat en atombomb, så hade Andra Världskrigets förlopp blivit helt
annorlunda_.

Now, it's not marked or anything, mind you. Special subjunctive verb forms
are not entirely unusual - in paricular _vore_, the past subjunctive of _att
vara_ "to be" is quite alive.

                                                      Andreas