On Friday, November 1, 2002, at 11:25 , Florian Rivoal wrote:

> As I wrote, the hiragana sillabary can be use instead of kanji when the
> characher you want to write is to difficult. Since women of that time
> didn't know kanji, they just replaced everything with hiragana. There is
> no technical dificulty to do it. It is just not the common use.

Don't you often find hiragana glosses in *really* tiny characters above
kanji in manga sometimes, especially for younger readers?  I don't exactly
have extensive experience of manga, but I do have some in the original
language.  :-p  Granted, I have exceptionally bad eyesight, but it made me
wonder if manga-enthusiasts ever go around with magnifying lenses.

One of my conlangs has a mixed writing system in theory, but in practice I'
ve left off development with the alphabet.  It's something I may or may
not get around to remedying.

Yoon Ha Lee [[log in to unmask]]
http://pegasus.cityofveils.com

God is dead.--Nietzche