>How much is the Roman notation for Chinese being used these days?

It is used for teaching chinese to foreigners, and to sort characher is some dictionaries. Allmost nothing more. And actualy, chinese written in the roman notation is hardly readable.

There are too mainy homophones in chinese, you never know which characher you are talking about. my dictionary has an average 10 characher for each sillable. This is average, so many ones have much more.

if you consider that most electronic or informatic systems do no handle the diacritic notation of tones, multiply this figure by 4.

If you write english in ponetics, you will have the same writing for to two and too. Ok, only three. but can you imagine the mess when not 3 but 40 words have the exact same spelling?

I know many chinese who prefer to use englsih, rather than chinese with romanisation, if they have to use a system which does not support properly chinese writing (ICQ, for example).

The only practical usable way of using roman alphabet for chinese writing would be to create a complex spelling system, definitly not straight-forward, so you can make a difference between all those homophones. And I don't see the point of having a complex spelling system, instead of a complex characher system.

More over, all chinese dialects (which could sometimes be considerer as separate languages) share the common wrighting system, thought phonetic is considerably different. Or to be more specific, Cantonese uses the chinese charachers plus specifics charachers (based on the same system) for words that do not exist in mandarin, while most other dialects (languages) do not have a written form of their own, an only use mandarin.This is not difficult since writting only caries the meaning, and not pronounciation.  Would you remove any possibility of writing to those languages, or create hundreds (not less, knowing how many dialects ans languages) of different complex spelling systems? Or make every body use the same one, and make it completely loose it's phonetic value?

Another solution would be to have a strong an sever governemental action to make all those dialects and languages disapear, so that only one spelling system could be used.

What ever the way you choose, I consider it impossible, and more over, without any advantages on the current system.

I do not think an kind of writing is superior to the others. It is just more appropriate for a language or another, and linguistic is not the only criteria, socio-politic also have a strong impact. Chinese writing is a factor of unity in the country, and has been used so in early history.

More over, roman writing is perceived as english(or american). Can you imagine the humiliation for china if they had to abandon a whole part of their culture, to addopt a foreign system? A country with thousands of year of history, a highly refined and advance culture and civilistion is not likely to wake up one morning, and say: "our writen language is primitive, let's ask Georges Bush junior to devise a new one for us, because english writing system is so much superior to our"? Personaly, I doubt.