Balazs Sudar scripsit:

> I have now seen a little bit through Tolkien's Lord Of The Rings. He's us=
> ing for the language of the Gondorians some kind of English mixed with Ol=
> d English words. I have the question anyone knowing for sure abot these t=
> hings (excuse me if they are silly questions, I'm not very good in Englis=
> h):

Several people have posted on your detailed questions, but nobody (AFAIK)
has pointed out that what is appearing here is a mixture of Modern English
and Early Modern English, 16th-17th century stuff, still easily accessible
to the educated.

Real Old English, 800-1066 or so, is another kettle of fish altogether.
It *is* used in the LotR to represent the native language of the Rohirrim:
"Waesthu Theoden hal!" e.g. "Let the king ["Theoden" is a poetic word for
"king", like all the names of the Mark's kings] be hale/healthy!"

> - Verb forms like 'hast' 'shalt' etc. Where there any common forms for th=
> e verbs in sing. 2nd and 3rd person, like in other languages?
> - Personal pronouns: 'thou' and 'ye' are the sing. and pl. forms of 'you'=
> ? acc. and dative are 'thee' in sing. but what's the form in pl.?

"You" was the old acc pl, which has displaced all the other forms.

> Does anyone know any webpages where I can find something about Old Englis=
> h/Anglo-Saxon?

Googling will do the job, but it won't tell you about Early Modern English.

--
Winter:  MIT,                                   John Cowan
Keio, INRIA,                                    [log in to unmask]