Mat McVeagh scripsit:

> I think I understand all this - I am hampered a little by not being familiar
> with certain linguistic terms I have noticed on these conlang groups,
> namely: "argument", "core", "valency", possibly others.

An argument is the semantic version of a NP: thus in "John ate the banana",
the arguments are John and the banana.  An argument is a core argument
if the predicate insists on having it.  Valency is the property of a
predicate that says which core arguments it has.

--
John Cowan       http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        <[log in to unmask]>
                Clear all so!  `Tis a Jute.... (Finnegans Wake 16.5)