 --- John Cowan skrzypszy:

> > Interesting! Does that also mean that Galicia was not a part of the
> > Austro-Hungarian Monarchy?
>
> Not unless an RTC king sold it to Austria-Hungary, which wouldn't be entirely
> out of the question, I suppose.

Well, at least *here* that would be entirely unthinkable. Galicia has always
been a place of particular importance to the Polish nation (and for the
Ukrainian too, for completeness' sake).

> > And a second question: if Poland was already there before the Great War,
> > then on what side was it? Are there any maps of entire Europe of Ill
> > Bethisad?
>
> Not AFAIK.

Then it is about time :) BTW You didn't answer my first question. Quite an
important point, I would say.

> > Interesting. Since Catholicism is so predominant in Poland, I am curious
> > how the Lithuanians managed to resist the pressure of Polish missionaries,
> > especially if the two countries were in such a stable unity.
>
> I don't know.  Perhaps one of those religious geniuses popped up, as they
> do erratically in human history, who was able to pull together the loosely
> coordinated family-traditional paganism of old Lithuania into something
> more systematic and organized, fit to become an official religion.  This
> would have involved lots of syncretism and possibly an identification of
> the Christian God and/or Christ with some Lietuvan deity/ies.

That sounds acceptable.

> > > What happened between the RTC and the Swedes in Gustavus Adolphus's day?
> >
> > That question is not for me to answer.
>
> Fair enough.  I just wondered: if he weren't so successful against the
> Poles, perhaps the RTC actually had suzerainty over Sweden for a while?

Why not? I surely wouldn't mind!

Jan

=====
"Originality is the art of concealing your source." - Franklin P. Jones