Christophe Grandsire:

> > (And to be even more modern, your E is the Minkowski norm of the
> > energy-momentum four-vector, and in the particle view the energy
> > component is again m c^2).
> >

>Only in the rest frame of the particle. Like I said, nearly nobody ever
>takes m
>to be the relativistic mass. Even Einstein himself rarely used this
>convention.

Which didn't stop the authors of one of my textbooks at high school using
the relativistic mass m. Evidently, they thought it was nifty to have the
(visually) identical formula p=mv for the [can't recall English term] in
both Classical and Relativistic Mechanics. Or as a physics Prof explained it
to me: "Damn kindergarten teachers who can't realize that p=mv is a
convenient notation for a useful approximation and not a divine decree!".

                                                        Andreas