Hello,

> > And so we won't be discussing English pronunciation
> anymore, I was taught
> > to pronounce the Russian "i kratkayka" as [i-j], a
> diphthoing, whereas the
> > traditional pronounciation is simply [i-].   How do you all
> pronounce it?
> > ;)
>
>         It represents [j] (most of the time) although there
> are a couple of instances
> in which it can be realized as a diphthong, usually vowel +
> [i].

Not in my lect.

> Exceptions
> usually involve stress; for instance, "pozhaluj[s]ta," "please"
> is stressed on
> the second syllable, so all others are reduced to something like
> [[log in to unmask]"[log in to unmask]@].

Well, that's a bad example, because it's one of those highly reduced
etiquette words, so most of the time it's [p(s=)"Za5st@] or something
along these lines

> In word final cases, it most definitely is
> [j], as in /tSaj/ (tea).

Errm, not quite. In many cases, you'll hear an approximant-ish [C] in
pre-pausal position.

Actually, the [j] is seldom pronounced pre/postvocalically - the usual
realization is a bit of a fronting in the corresponding part of the
vowel segment (easily seen on a spectrogram), like the one seen
before/after palatalized consonants, but more distinct. In careful
speech and phrase-initially, it is [j] all right.

Pavel
--
Pavel Iosad               [log in to unmask]

Is mall a mharcaicheas am fear a bheachdaicheas
                 --Scottish proverb