Gloria Winnick posted:
****
In addition, the ratio of patients per nurses has changed, and a floor
nurse
takes care of more children today that he/she did 10 years ago. So
monitoring
sick children is a real issue.
As a result, when ever I want to admit an oxygen dependant child to the
floor
I encounter a lot odf resistant from the floor nurses who are often
panicked
that they may actually manage someone sick.

****
May I suggest (as a Nurse from the Trenches) that the "panic" may have
less to do with a loss of skill as a recogition of the reality that your
O2 dependent infant may NOT recieve adequate monitoring and/or
intervention due to the current staffing and demands on the staff.  I work
in a mixed adult/peds ED (level II trauma and Ped Trauma ctr) and have
good Peds skills.  However, when the number of patients increases
significantly without an increase in resources all of us enter a danger
zone.  While some nurses will "panic" (just as some physicians will), it
may be that they are trying to tell you that your "sick" patient WILL NOT
be able to receive the proper care in that unit at that time.

The URL for the PED-EM-L Web Page is: