Most formulations of the principles of EBM explicitly require the clinician
to incorporate their experience, as well as the patient's values and
preferences, in all decision making.  Evidence based medicine is for
physicians; trained monkeys work for health insurance companies.  So, you
do practice EBM.

Rich

At 03:49 PM 12/26/2002 -0500, Jim wrote:

>1. I agree that Evidence Based Medicine (EBM) should not be our sole
>source of guidance. While I try to practice EBM, and I teach EBM to my
>residents and medical students, EBM to the exclusion of common sense and
>judgement makes the doctor nothing more than a trained monkey, albeit a
>well informed one.

Richard B Ismach, MD, MPH
Assistant Professor, Emergency Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine