On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, John Cowan wrote:

> Daniel Andreasson Vpc-Work scripsit:
>
> > I would also be very interested to hear if anyone knew about
> > an S vs. A/P system.
>
> _Describing Morphosyntax_ claims that there are none.  After all,
> there has to be some way to reliably differentiate A and P, whether by
> inflection, word order, or even a hierarchy (in which case you use an
> inverse marker when man bites dog).  A language that has none of these
> things is a language in which, quite literally, we do not know what we
> are talking about.   It is unlikely to exist.

Howdy all!

I'm a lurking newbie to the list, but I have been following the discussions
with interest.  I am currently reading Bernard Comrie's "Languages of the
Soviet Union" and came upon the following:
        In particular, Rushan shows the rare double-oblique system, in which
        the direct object takes the same oblique case as the transitive subject
        whilst the intransitive subject takes the absolute case:

        mu    dum      kitoob xeejt
        I-OBL this-OBL book   read-PAST
        'I read this book'

        jaa    pa XaraR  sut
        he-ABS to Khorog go-PAST-MASC-SG
        'he went to Khorog'

Rushan is an Indo-Iranian language spoken along the river Pyandzh in the
former Soviet Union (according to Comrie).

By the way, the book is quite fun to read: he focuses on the interesting
(i.e. bizarre) aspects of the many languages of the USSR.

Ciao,
Apollo