Crossposted from <UW-Photo>

-Hugh

Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 18:56:31 -0500
from: "Michael J. Haber" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Jim Church

It is with extreme sadness that we must report the passing of legendary
UW Instructor, Author and Photographer, Jim Church.  Jim passed away
earlier today at his home in Miami Lakes, Florida.  In keeping with
Jim=92s wishes there will be no formal services.  In lieu of flowers,
donations may be made in Jim=92s name to the Catholic Hospice, 14100
Palmetto Frontage Road, Suite 370, Miami Lakes, Florida, 33016.

Of all the accolades that Jim has received throughout his life, the one
that meant the most to him was simply =93teacher=94.  Jim spent his life as
a teacher, first in the school systems of California and ultimately as a
teacher to us all who ever wanted to take a picture underwater.  There
are very few among us who have not been influenced by Jim=92s writing or
by his hands on instruction.  Many of today's professionals started with
a camera in one hand and Jim's articles and books in the other. His
articles and photos have appeared in dive magazines for 32 years.

It would be fitting on this last night of 2002, that we all lift a glass
in the direction of the nearest ocean and shout a toast to the wonderful
spirit that was Jim Church.  For those of us who have had the honor and
privilege of knowing and loving the man, he will be missed more than
words can express.  For all of us, the world will be a little sadder and
emptier in 2003.

God bless you Jim.  You were and will remain one of a kind.

Mike Haber and Mike Mesgleski

To those of you, who were close to Jim, and we have not yet reached
directly, you can call us at 305-234-0903