Nik Taylor scripsit:

> Or just coincidence, perhaps from the collapse of several phonemes.
> Maybe the first three were Zhos- and the last one was Jos- (assuming
> there's no /dZ/ in the modern language)

English "cleave" = split and "cleave" = adhere to, as in "I will cleave to
thee, Dunadan" (what Arwen says in the book) are the result of a similar
collapse.  Likewise "sound" < sonus and "sound" < sanus (the word "sound"
applied to an arm of the sea, as in Long Island Sound, is native).

--
Winter:  MIT,                                   John Cowan
Keio, INRIA,                                    [log in to unmask]