Douglas Koller, Latin & French scripsit:

> This is interesting. When I've heard natives talk about their own
> dialect, they usually inflate the number of tones (e.g.: Cantonese
> speakers will say they have 10+ tones;

Well, you can make a case for 11 tonemes in Cantonese: a yin and a yang tone for
each open syllable, 3 for closed syllables, and two "changed" tones
which (unlike ordinary tones) are morphemes of a sort.
At the etic level, though, there are only 6-7.

--
Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis vom dies! || John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>