On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 11:28:15 -0500 "Douglas Koller, Latin & French"
> If you leave out the "clipped" tones, I could see five. But the
> seven
> is correct if you want to take into account all the tone sandhi
> variables. Tones 4 and 8 (remember, there is technically no tone 6)
> when followed by proper ending-consonants (p, t, k) behave
> differently than when they end in a glottal stop (which I have
> never heard as distinctly as in Shanghainese).

> Kou
-

How is there no tone 6?

-Stephen (Steg)
 "so 'sumimasen' means 'i don't exist'?  wow, the japanese are a little
too polite with that one!"
 "no... the 'su' in 'sumimasen' "sorry" and the 'su' in 'sundeiru' "to
dwell" are written with different kanji!"
 "sure they are..."
     ~ (or something like that) from japanese class during the summer