On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 18:13:01 +0100, Christophe Grandsire
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>En réponse à Jeff Jones <[log in to unmask]>:
>
>> > has been discontinued. So maybe "[a]" has taken over that spot?? But
>> > then, what is the low central vowel?
>
> Turned a. In IPA, [a] is the low front unrounded vowel, while [6] (the
> turned a) is the low central unrounded vowel called "open schwa".

The problem with that is that the open schwa isn't fully low.

>> I'm glad you brought that up, Roger. What you've described was pretty
>> much what I learned originally (except that I don't remember the
>> specific symbols). That was one reason I was confused when I joined the
>> list.
>
>Would you have learned the Americanist system rather than the IPA?

Certainly _an_ Americanist system, or maybe several mixed together. The
readily available books didn't use IPA at all, except for the occasional
inclusion of a microscopically small chart with no explanation!

Jeff