>From: Terrence Donnelly <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Then I got to wondering if Vietnamese even has higher
>math terms.  After all, a phrase like "n factorial",
>although composed of English words, doesn't mean
>anything to a native speaker either until it's
>explained to them.  It doesn't seem like there'd be
>any inherent advantage in translating into your native
>language a term whose meaning isn't obvious in
>anybody's native language.

I can think of one advantage. Even though the term's meaning may not be *immeadiately
obvious* in a language, it may be logical when explained, and that makes
it a lot easier to remember and understand later.

Besides, I suspect I've noticed that when some people of my age (teenagers)
see a Latin or Greek term, they'll conclude right away that the subject must
be difficult and then won't even try to understand it. I don't think native
terms would have the same "scientific -> incomprehensible" effect.

>-- Terry

- M. Astrand

- M. Astrand

Kuukausimaksuton nettiyhteys: http://www.suomi24.fi/liittyma/