-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: John Cowan [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Skickat:        lö 2003-01-11 00:04
Till:   [log in to unmask]
Kopia:
Ämne:      USAGE: "thole" vs. "dree"

I found out today that Scots has two verbs corresponding to English "endure,
put up with":

        thole: to put up with something because one has no choice
        dree: to put up with something as a choice

thole... It looks alot like the Swedish word "tåla" [""to:la]

Vocabularists may be interested in this contrast.  I found it at
http://www.fleimin.demon.co.uk/Bletherskite/Shudder_At_The_Niffer.htm
a page of Scots prescriptivism written in Scots.

The phrase "dree one's weird", therefore, means not merely to endure one's
fate, but to *choose* to endure one's fate.

--
Only do what only you can do.           John Cowan <[log in to unmask]>
  --Edsger W. Dijkstra,                 http://www.reutershealth.com