--- In [log in to unmask], Danny Wier <dawier@H...> wrote:

> What's the deal with those apostrophes? They don't mean nothin'. They're
> like how Amerindian names are some-times writ-ten u-sing hy-phen-at-ed
> syl-la-bles -- I've heard that called the "Lewis and Clark" system of
> transcription.

It's thrown in to make it look all exotic, kind of like how teenage
boys would put a diaresis over every vowel when doing heavy
metal-style doodles when I was in high school.

Now, I do use an acute symbol as a glottal stop mark, and I admit to
using a lot of diacritics on my nouns, but that's because digraphs
give me fits when I try to read my conlang.  I keep sliding into
English-style readings.  The diacritics help me keep things straight
in my own mind and are assigned according to a system that at least
makes some sense to me.  Although now that Unicode is here, which lets
me put nearly any diacritic over any vowel, I will probably revise my
diacritic system to make more phonological "sense"--an acute will
always refer to "raising" the sound, or something like that.  I
originally restrained myself to the &; entities available in HTML4.