=?iso-8859-1?q?Jan=20van=20Steenbergen?= scripsit:

> (For those who don't know: Germanic [g] evolved into [X] in (Northern) Dutch
> dialects).

Well, maybe, maybe not.  The Germanic languages have been using the symbol
"g" for a fricative sound since they first began to be written in Latin
letters.  The introduction of [g] into standard German, for example, is a
relatively recent development, and old /g/ has practically disappeared in
English native words except initially before a back vowel.  (Of course
we have lots of Latinate and Greek words with /g/.)

> Depends who is the listener. [h] is a very common sound in Dutch, so we have no
> problem with that. But I have noticed that speakers of Slavic languages often
> have trouble distinguishing between them; in most cases, both [X] and [h] come
> out as [x].

Do you tend to hear [x] as /X/ or /h/?

--
XQuery Blueberry DOM                            John Cowan
Entity parser dot-com                           [log in to unmask]