On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 01:22:36 -0000 "habarakhe4
<[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> <snip>
> > This reminds me more of the Pi`eil (intensive) semi-productive
> causative
> > sub-paradigm "Shif`eil", ex. ShHhRR "to free" (from HhRR(? maybe
> HhRH)
> > "free", ShKPL "to clone" from KPL "double".

> Well, Hip'il can be causative in Biblical Hebrew.
-

I think that's its primary function.  I was actually only talking about
the *form* of the paradigm, with the |sh|s.

> Now, what _I_ need to find out is how to deal with quadrilateral
> roots, which would be much more common in the Sumerian lexicon of
> Emegali than a normal Semitic language (I can creatively avoid
> hollow verbs by Sumerian reduplication). Untangling the Sumerian-
> Akkadian sprachbund is as difficult as untangling the Italic and
> Greek vocabulary in Etruscan and the Etruscan and Greek vocabulary
> in Italic.
-

In Hebrew, quatriliteral roots work as a subset of the 'strong'
(geminated) paradigms, pi`eil, pu`al, and hitpa`eil.  The shaf`eil
subparadigm is pretty much the same as a quatriliteral root verb:
/dibber/ (CCC) ~ /Sikpel/ (CCC) ~ /pirnes/ (CCCC)

So you conjugate 4-letter roots just like the 3-letter roots, except
replace the triliteral's middle geminated consonant with the two middle
consonants of the quatriliteral.

You can also 'force' 4-letter roots into other paradigms if you fiddle
with them a bit.  For instance, you could force the hif`il paradigm to
accept quatriliteral roots by adding an extra /@/:

/hiSpi:l/ = hiCCC (normal hif`il)
*/hipr@ni:s/ = *hiCC'CC (forced quatriliteral)

You could even force quintiliteral(?) roots into the geminated paradigms:

/dibber/ = CiCC (normal)
/pirnes/ = CiCCC (quatriliteral)
*/biznetS/ = *CiCCCC (5-letter)

-Stephen (Steg)
 "...and tzrorf saryn - trorif-a sa'^aryon^spar, the hunter with a bow
- hangs face-downwards from the dome of night..."
     ~ 'rougant'