En réponse à Daniel Andreasson Vpc-Work <[log in to unmask]>:

> You'd think I would, wouldn't you? But unfortunately I don't. :P

I'm beginning to wonder what you've done at school ;)))) .

> Hahaha! :D You crack me up! :D

;)))

> :D *visualizing Christophe scurrying off in someone's general
> direction*

Well, it *could* be a useful distinction (especially for sleepwalkers - or
would it be "sleeprunners"? ;)))) ).

> > Do I understand the concept correctly?
>
> Yup. Although, the choice between AGT and PAT doesn't need
> to be based on control, it can be based on active/stative
> instead (as in Guaraní). Hence the term "active".

I know. I just gave an example graphical enough to be understood easily. And a
little humour always helps with teaching ;))) .

> Or better yet, an actual Guaraní (fluid-S!) example:
>
> karú (AGT) 'to have lunch or supper, or dine'  --> active
> karú (PAT) 'to be a glutton'  --> stative

Strangely enough, I would have thought that the meanings would be opposite. I'd
feel that being a glutton demands more activity than simply having lunch or
dinner ;))) . I like when languages make distinctions in a way that just looks
wrong to me ;)))) .

> Well, I feel compelled to say just "active", but I'm sure Tom
> Wier will tell me that it really is split-S, so that's what
> I'm going for then. ;)

LOL. What's the problem here? I'd think fluid-S and split-S languages are easy
to separate ;))) .

Christophe.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr