En réponse à Andreas Johansson <[log in to unmask]>:

> Is that really an example of random changes, or of the standard taking
> some
> forms one 'lect and others from another.

Really random change. The random change exists in all dialects of French I know
of (some stop at /wE///E/ instead of /wa///E/, but the distribution is the
same). This random change is the reason why we have the nationality suffixes "-
ois" and "-ais", which used to be a single suffix but separated for no reason.

Christophe.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr