Sebastian,

Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 01:39:11PM -0500, Patrick Durusau wrote:

But I also think SVG is maybe too low-level. It describes
vectors, not concepts which could be represented as vectors.

Not sure of the distinction you are making.

I was thinking of each stroke of the glyph being represented by a vector
in the SVG. All of the vectors for a particular glyph combine together
to describe the glyph.

What would be the next level "up" from SVG if vector representation is
not appropriate?

well, I'd like to see an example of Melissa's existing
coding before committing myself, but to take a simple example,
how can SVG record the idea that this <stroke> goes "down",
and is regarded as the first to be made? say the glyph has
3 strokes, and you think you know the order they come in. How
do you express that precedence in pure SVG? ok, so you
can use class attributes, but thats a bit of a hack.

The issue of the direction of strokes is inherent in the way vectors are specified in SVG (although without more that is not apparent to the observer of the rendered image).

On the stroke order issue, I note that SVG provides a <metadata> element. That is if you don't want to infer order from the order of the vectors in the SVG file, which is probably a bad idea. Not because it could not be done but it would be undocumented and hence opaque to later users of the file.

You could construct a set of named primitives and call them into the glyph to be constructed and specify the order in the <metadata> element.

I am not committing myself to this being a useful solution for Melissa but as an interesting idea to explore. All I can do at the moment is suggest it but perhaps towards the end of the month I can try to fashion an example.

Patrick
--
Patrick Durusau
Director of Research and Development