I often encode letters as embedded texts--which, after all, they are:
unless your document is a collection of letters, an individual letter
isn't really a sub-division of the larger document. In some cases, I
suppose, you might want to embed the <text> in a <quote>.

Cheers,

Clifford E. Wulfman
Editor for Literature in English
Perseus Project