 --- Roger Mills <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Christophe wrote:
> > En réponse à Delirious
(........)
> > > e            t(e)n                      e
> > > i            f(i)g                      i
> > 'i' in 'fig' is most probably [I] in KPA. KPA [i]
> is 'ee' in 'seen'.
>
> And "ten" has [E] in just about everyone's book...
> (So does "leg", mentioned
> later on as the example for [e] or so it
> seems.......)

Do voiced velars tend to cause an i-type off-glide on
a preceding voewl?  I think I may have one in leg - it
doesn't sound like quite the same vowel as in ten pr
bed or peck, and more definitely, I have an i-like
off-glide after & (=ae digraph) before [g] and [N], so
I have a different vowel in bag and bang (something
like [&I] or [&i] than in back or bad (just plain
[&]).  (My brother even tends to say these with a
vowel something like [eI], so bag is for him [beIg]

Rachel