On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 09:27:25 -0700, Dirk Elzinga <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>The retroflex series could be represented with the symbols for the corresponding alveolar consonants following an <r>:
>
>[t`] -> <rt>
>[d`] -> <rd>
>[n`] -> <rn>
>
>etc.

This might work if Lindiga didn't have /r/ and /r`/. As it happens, putting
the {r} after the other letter would work out better, since there don't
happen to be any words with /tr/, /dr/, etc. in Lindiga yet, but there are
words like /sarn/ "plant (vegetable)".

But I'm thinking that I don't particularly like using the grave accent to
mark long vowels, so I've been experimenting with different ways to write
the vowels using digraphs. For instance:

ie /i:/       ue /u:/
 ei /e:/      ou /o:/
  ae /E:/     oa /O:/
       aa /a:/

In that case, words like /pEl`i:na/ won't be a problem, since it would be
written {pel^iena}.

--
languages of Azir------> ---<http://www.io.com/~hmiller/lang/index.html>---
hmiller (Herman Miller)   "If all Printers were determin'd not to print any