 --- JS Bangs skrzypszy:

> Other languages are known to have similar processes. Polish switched from
> the arbitrariliy-stressed Old Church Slavic to its penult stress, and it
> did it very quickly: 3 or 4 centuries max, I believe.

Basically, that is correct. These things went extremely fast in Polish. I even
vaguely remember to have read somewhere that Polish also had a period of
initial stress, like Czech does. Could somebody confirm/dement that?

But as Pavel wrote, Old Church Slavic is not the same as Proto-Slavic, and
Polish is not a descendant of Old Church Slavic.

> [...] And Jesus said, "What?"

Great sig!

Jan

=====
"Originality is the art of concealing your source." - Franklin P. Jones