Andreas JOHANSSON (replying to Delirious) wrote:

> > TRANSLITERATION LETTERS WITH PROUNONCIATION KEY
> >
> > VOWELS:
> > monothongs
> > phoneme                 transcribed as          earth example
> > /&/                     a                       (a)mo (latin)
> > (open front unrounded)                          (a)mi (french)
>
> _Amo_ and _ami_ has [a], wherefore /&/ seems an odd representation. It
> suggests either a rounded vowel (following the X-SAMPA) or something a bit
> more close (following CONLANG tradition; this is the vowel sound of
> English "cat").

Did you take a look at Ms. Sarri's Greek website?
http://users.otenet.gr/~bm-celusy/chart2.html
I'm afraid it's the source of much of D's "problem"-- amo and ami are her
cites, then she claims that Greek /a/ has a possible pronunc. [&] i.e. [ĉ]
ash.  That's news to me, but then I can only count from one to ten in modern
Greek, efkharistó and kali spera.  Some other links at her site take you to
an Amer/Brit pronunc. guide (antimoon.com), not all of which is acceptable
to me, either. Hmph.

Another site I visited recently had a French section (mixed
phonemic/phonetic) where the /a/ of ami was indeed pronounced very close to
[ĉ] ash, but was called [a], agreeing in that case with the sample at the
NTNU site.  That pronunc. also, was news to me.

BTW, that business of "ts, ks" as  "diphthongs" is also due to Ms. Sarri's
site.....

I don't like to carp and cavil about pronunciations, in any language.
Whatever someone says, exists (assuming the speaker isn't drunk etc.....)
But after looking at a lot of these IPA sites, I am disturbed by the
variation seen.  That isn't supposed to happen.  If one publishes data
written in IPA, theoretically a properly trained Japanese/ Tokelauan/ Serb/
Swede/ Spaniard etc. etc. should be able to reproduce it, and everyone's
version would be the same, or at least very close..  That is the point of
"International", no?

It would be interesting to organize a "First International Conlang Phonetics
Congress" (ideally in Amsterdam, Stockholm, Melbourne or Paris, but I
suppose on-line would do), in which as many of us as possible post samples
of our speech along with what we think is the IPA transcription thereof.
_Then_ we'd have something to discuss.

(Does anyone have ideas how to set up such a thing?? Obviously, first, get a
microphone......)

Finally, my apologies to everyone whose name contains the string
...andreas....  As you must realize by now, I am easily confused. Roger.