En réponse à Andreas Johansson <[log in to unmask]>:

> I've not studied the KPA close enough to remember whether it aims at
> being a
> ASCII transliteration of the IPA (rather than, say, an universal
> phonetic
> alphabet that is ASCII-safe).

It is definitely an ASCII transliteration of the IPA.

 If it does want to be an
> IPA-transliteration, I
> find it to be a drawback (altho' probably made up for by giving pretty
> easy-to-
> remember click symbols, something I can't accuse the IPA of).

:))

> PS [dons evil grin] Since C-IPA is supposed to transliterate the IPA,
> how do
> you transliterate the hooktop heng? (X-SAMPA [x\], simultaneous alveolar
> and
> velar voiceless fricative)

Well, it's one of those signs I don't have a transliteration for yet. Since
it's described as "simultaneous S and x", I could simply render it as [s-^x]
(or [S^x] with the "plain" additions) since ^ is the tie-bar as well as an IPA
diacritic marker. In this case, I'd just do like Branner does.

But when I arrive to a release version of C-IPA (if I ever get there ;)) ), I
will have a solution for it.

Christophe.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr