----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask]>Doug Dee
To: [log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2003 10:16 AM
Subject: Re: Probability of Article Replacement?

I was distinct annoyed to read in _Definiteness_ that "It has often been pointed out that no language has noun phrases distinctively generic in form."  That is, my article #2 seems to violate a linguistic universal that generics are treated as either definite or indefinite.

Doug

---

It's somewhat disturbing to see this.  A great many of my conlangs have a "generic" category, though usually as a number opposing singular and plural (and dual, etc.).  I didn't know I wasn't supposed to do that...

Actually, I find this happenning a lot.  Really puts the idea of linguistic universals to shame, doesn't it?

Joe Fatula