In a message dated 2003:03:21 06:00:12 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

>For those of you interested in clicks, here is an article stating that
>clicks are remnants of the very first forms of human speech.
>
>http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_medical/story.jsp?story=388274
>
>So, anyone wanting to reconstruct the phonology of Pre-Proto-Nostratic
>(or something like that) has to deal with clicks! :)

    If this article was true-blue linguistics and not some kind of
Pre-Proto-Nostratic fringe linguistics theory, I would imagine that ejectives
and sibilants would be also be quite pronounced as well &, possibly, growled
creaky voicing.

    :: delights in imaginin' the "singing" *** of an ancient CroMagnon _Homo
Loquens_ bein' like an operatic German(ic)/Nordic DeathMetal singer doin' a
hybrid, PIE-conlang-translation medley of Kurt Weill, Tom Waits, Lou Reed and
Iggy Pop songs ;)

    *** - more like throatsingy snarl-growl-spit-&hiss-chanting -  ::

Hanuman Zhang, MangaLanger

     Language[s] change[s]: vowels shift, phonologies crash-&-burn, grammars
leak, morpho-syntactics implode, lexico-semantics mutate, lexicons explode,
orthographies reform, typographies blip-&-beep, slang flashes, stylistics
warp... linguistic (R)evolutions mark each-&-every quantum leap...

"Some Languages Are Crushed to Powder but Rise Again as New Ones" -
title of a chapter on pidgins and creoles, John McWhorter,
_The Power of Babel: A Natural History of Language_

= ! gw3rra leg0set kaka! ! riis3rva, saIlva, riikuu, sk0pa-g0mii aen
riizijkl0! =
(Fight Linguistic Waste! Save, Salvage, Recover, Scavenge and Recycle!)