From: "E. Notagain" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: OT: baloney and cheese

> >And then you have the people who think that Austria
> >was one of the Allies in the World Wars (and is in the
> >Southern Hemisphere and suchlike). Why can't we just
> >call them Oesterich (or whatever it is in Austrian
> >German).
>
> I've heard of an awful lot of people who seem to think Australia and
> Austria are the same country. Or that Australia is part of Europe.
> *sigh*

Well, it is a member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, if I recall
correctly.  That can't help geography teachers!

But I would have a problem taking anyone seriously if they didn't know that
Australia and Austria were different countries.  It'd be like if they
couldn't separate caramel from a camel.  (Now that I'm thinking about it,
that's probably tough to do.)