In a message dated 3/17/2003 6:54:53 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

Is it a normal or natural thing for languages to change word stress
placement due to contact from surrounding languages?  For example,
let's say language X has penultimate stress and language Y and
language Z both have ultimate stress.  Would it be usual for
language X to shift the stress to the ultimate syllable?

I'm almost certain I read about this happening somewhere, but I don't recall the reference.  In general, it would probably be rash to claim that any feature is absolutely immune from diffusing between languages in contact, so I'd bet we'd find stress borrowing _somewhere_.

Doug