Peter Bleackley wrote:
> English seems to be the opposite of a creole.
> Pidgins and creoles tend to have reduced
> vocabularies and phonologies compared to their
> parent languages.
(...)
> English has a  phonology at least as complex as
> both its parent languages (...), and its vocabulary
> was greatly increased.
(...)
> Is there a general term for this type of
> anti-creole, or is English the only example?

> Pete

I have read of a really interesting language that
could be described as an anti-creole, much more than
English.  I believe it's called Michif or Michif Cree.
 It's a language that is a mixture of Cree and French,
spoken (or formerly spoken?) by Metis people somewhere
on the Canadian prairies (Manitoba?).  Apparently it
takes many of the more complex parts of eaxh input
language.  For the most part, the verb phrase
vocabulary, syntax, and phonology are Cree-like, while
the noun-phrase vocabulary, syntax and phonology are
mostly French like.  However, one of the more complex
parts of Cree made it into the syntax, so there are
something like 7 degrees of deictic words (like "this"
and "that").  Also, nouns have both French genders
(masculine and feminine), used when agreeing with
french-derived articles, and Cree genders (animate and
inanimate, I think), used when agreeing with
Cree-derived words.

Rachel