Andreas Johansson wrote:

> Quoting Nik Taylor <[log in to unmask]>:
>
> > Andreas Johansson wrote:
> > > I hear "Mr Bush" all the time on the news right now ...
> >
> > "Mr. Bush" sounds vaguely insulting to me.  He should be called
> > "President Bush", not "Mr. Bush".  "Mr." makes him sound like a
> > private
> > citizen instead of the leader of the country.
>
> When you say it, it may very well be that it's mostly used by people who
> dislike him; thanks to the little disagreement over Iraq plenty of Bush-
> bashers have been getting media coverage lately.

The NY Times, and I suppose the prestige papers of every country, make every
effort to always be polite (and not split infinitives)....

<dons asbestos flame-suit>
My _personal opinion_ is that only Republicans seem to get their shorts in a
bind when _their_ presidents are referred to by surname only.  They
complained about "Nixon", they complained about "Reagan" (but not too much
about "Bush" (#1) for some reason.....).  But they've never had a problem
with spitting out "Roosevelt" "Truman" "Kennedy" "LBJ" or "Johnson",
"Carter", and certainly not "Clinton" (with gagging sounds.)