Christophe Grandsire wrote:
> ?! That's the first time I hear that one. To me, Japanese and Spanish have
> exactly the same rhotic, and it's definitely [4]. It doesn't sound like [l\] at
> all. Actually, it has nothing lateral in it!

I was taught that it was a retroflex tap.  Before /a/, it sometimes
sounds like an [l], at least with some speakers.  The name "Ranma" often
sounds like the English pronunciation of Llama from some of the
characters in that series.  :-)

--
"There's no such thing as 'cool'.  Everyone's just a big dork or nerd,
you just have to find people who are dorky the same way you are." -