On Thursday 27 March 2003 12:10 pm, you wrote:
> From: "Wesley Parish" <[log in to unmask]>
>
> > Just a question:  have you ever come across a book by John Calvin
>
> Batchelor
>
> > called "The Birth of the People's Republic of Antarctica"?
>
> Nope, never have. West Antarctica in my story is actually the prison colony
> of the USA (which now includes South America, the Caribbean and the Pacific
> along with North America, a fulfillment of an extreme form of Manifest
> Destiny).

Or keeping in mind a particular person currently being placeholder for various
vested interests, "Manifest Density".  He's the sort of person who'd save his
life by dying.

 I haven't done anything with East Antarctica in my story, as it's
> the less inhabitable half of the continent.
>
> > Your words on the "Trolls" settling in Peninsular Antarctica triggered
> that.
> > He sets his "People's Republic of Antarctica" in the peninsular next to
> Cape
> > Horn.  But it is a harrowing book to read.  Not for the faint of heart.
>
> That's where I put the Trolls (and the human convicts), and also further
> south, mostly on the islands. I made some significant changes to Trollish
> phonology today; I added voiced stops, but many Trolls don't notice any
> difference.
>
> Harrowing? I like that... my work is pretty seedy myself. A big part of the
> story is how a failing college student and peeping tom starts a religious
> cult in Texas and wins some powerful friends (and horny women), adopts a
> theocratic-fascist agenda and takes over the Western Hemisphere.

Only in Texas ... ;)

Wesley Parish

--
Mau e ki, "He aha te mea nui?"
You ask, "What is the most important thing?"