The Women Writer Project records details of local encoding practice
using a database (which could just as well be an XML file). Each
record includes a discussion of the practice in question (usually at
the level of  how a particular tag is used, or how to encode a
particular phenomenon, but occasionally to articulate some broader
principle), a set of keywords for retrieval, a date on which the
entry was agreed upon, some background information necessary to
understand the context or the phenomenon being encoded, and a
rationale. We use the documentation to train our encoders as well as
to keep track of decisions, so the background and rationale are aimed
both at preserving our reasoning process and also at
explaining/justifying the decision.

We used a database originally for local ease of use and editing, but
we're about to export this data to XML, using a WWP Doc DTD which is
similar to TEI Lite, but which includes some elements for encoding
encoding (if you see what I mean) and other useful documentation
features. We'd be happy to share this DTD with anyone who is
interested.

Best wishes, Julia