On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 21:04, Daniel Andreasson Vpc-Work wrote:
> Danny Wier wrote:
>
> > Okay, I'm still working on vowels for Tech. I'm considering incorporating a
> > feature where Proto-Tech vowels /i/ /@/ and /u/ become /j@/ /@/ and /w@/,
> > while /e/ /a/ /o/ become /ja/ /a/ /wa/. In Vj sequences, /@/ and /a/ become
> > /i/ and /e/; in Vw sequences, /u/ and /o/.
>
> > but is there a better word for this?
>
> In the Nordic languages /e/ becomes /ja/ (as in _ek_ -> Mod.Sw. _jag_ 'I').
> This is called _brytning_ which would be "breaking" in English.
>
> A word for you, perhaps?

Old English had its own breaking, which was the diphthongisation of certain
vowels (I'm thinking (long?) /i/, /y/, /e/ and /&/) before certain consonants
(I think it's /r/, /l/, and /h/). I imagine in a phonetic context, breaking
would be assumed to mean something like that in English; the Tech changes seems
somewhat different (losing vowels and then regaining them). Can't offer any
better suggestion though :)

Tristan.