Elliott Lash wrote:

By they way, re your Profile post--- I though you were out in Washington
state??? Me befuddled? or have you moved?

> --- David Barrow <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Aquí en el Perú el uso en singular es "tú"
> > informal, "usted" formal. En
> > plural "ustedes" sirve tanto para lo informal como
> > para lo formal
> > ("vosotros" casi nunca se usa).
>
> I'm assuming that says 'aqui' 'Peru' and 'tu', all
> with accents of course. My question is...does one
> always say 'para lo'  instend of 'para el' ? I took
> Spanish up to Level Five (which is the highest my
> Highschool could take me)...and I got a 4 on the
> Advanced Placement Tests, (the highest being 5) and I
> dont remember using 'lo' in these
> circumstances....Please explain?

Non-native comment>  Hmm, I passed right over that.  I think it ought to be
"el", since you're referring back to "uso"....para el (uso) informal....
I'd have been tempted to omit the article altogether, probably wrongly.

On the formal/informal pronoun-- the Argentine _vos_ (pl. ustedes)
eliminates the problem, but requires using some non-standard verb forms--
vos habls, hacs, decs etc. Still, it's fun, and has character...
Since we were always taught not to use the tu forms, I was quite shocked the
first time a stranger called me t...
Absolutely NOBODY on Ideolengua uses usted, though I assume most members,
like here, are younger/roughly the same generation.