Markus Miekk-oja scripsit:

> Shouldn't Sweden/Norway have the "elk" instead of the "moose" - I know this
> is hairsplitting, but the European variety is generally known as an elk. -

The difficulty is that "elk" in North America refers to a different
animal altogether.  The North American moose/European elk is _Alces alces_,
whereas the North American elk, sometimes called the wapiti, is
_Cervus elaphus_.

ObJoke:  A Scotsman visiting Canada was taken by his local relatives to
see a mouse.  "If that's yer moose," said he, "I dinna want to see yer
rats!"

--
De plichten van een docent zijn divers,         John Cowan
die van het gehoor ook.                         [log in to unmask]