A new project was launched today to collect and preserve information on
every species of animal - including film footage, sound clips and pictures -
and put it all on the net.  It is called ARKive because it is a sort of 21st
century version of Noahs Ark:

http://www.arkive.org

And watching the piece on this on BBC TV this morning I thought to myself,
Why cant the same thing be done for languages?  Sound recordings, speech
transcriptions, grammars could all be preserved on the internet.

Of course, such an idea presupposes that linguists would be prepared to take
a break from their tree diagrams and go out and actually record languages,
especially endangered ones, being spoken in their natural setting.  Do
something future generations will actually thank them for.  Otherwise there
will be nothing to preserve...

Kordiale, James Chandler