Je 01.00 ptm 2003.05.23 +0000, James CHANDLER skribis
>The following online newsletter gives the impression that the Esperanto
>movement is in chaos:
>
>http://www.algonet.se/~kallekn/folio/
>
>How productive can so much infighting be?  How is it helping to make Esp a
>global auxiliary?

It's not very productive. It's also not very unusual, and -- people being
people -- is probably unavoidable. A movement as large and diverse as the
Esperanto movement is _certain_ to generate such stresses and strains
internally (e.g. the reform movement of 1894, the Ido crisis of 1907-1908,
the split in UEA in the 1930s through 1940s, the several decades of rivalry
between UEA and the "independent" magazine "Heroldo de Esperanto" that ran
through the sixties, the eternal friction between the established leaders
of the Esperanto movement and the "young Turks" of TEJO (who will in time
become established leaders and suffer in their turn from the same
friction), the ongoing battle between UEA and the "Raumists" of LF-Koop,
the disagreements between the elected leadership of UEA and the group
responsible for the day-to-day operations of the organization, etc., etc., etc.

There are, of course, other planned languages whose corpora of supporters
are small enough that they can still march in lockstep, something which --
after 50 or 90 or 100 years -- I don't consider a particularly healthy sign.

Ultimately, I think the Esperanto movement profits from this diversity --
and the fact that the infighting never seems to cause much harm, at least
in the long run, shows how healthy it is.

-- Don HARLOW

Pasis longa voj'
Iri ĉi tien de for;
Pasis longa temp',