En réponse à Sally Caves :

>First of all, I don't think that it's always French that suffers from
>dislikes.

True, but lately that's the only comment I've been hearing.

>Personally, I'd put my bid in for disliking Spanish more than I dislike
>French, but that dislike has personal reasons.  And German is a hell of a
>lot harder for me to memorize vocabulary for.

I know what you mean. Dutch is like that too, especially the scientific
vocabulary which is Germanic-based rather than Romance-based. The easy part
of learning English for French people is the amount of Romance vocabulary
it acquired. Dutch has much less of it, and German nearly none.

>   In fact, I quite like French;
>I think the nasalities are original to the Romance languages, I like how
>they sound, I like the uvular r, and I find it something of an achievement
>that I learned to pronounce it at all (Spanish is so easy, and I've had so
>much exposure to Mexican Spanish, bein' a California girl), much less speak
>it (after a fashion) when I lived in Geneva.  It's so full of idioms and
>bons mots.  :)  I think, however, that Italian will be my favorite romance
>language, if I ever master it.

I find Italian a beautiful language (but that's mainly because of the
Italian singers I like ;)) ), but I do not have a "favourite language". I
still find German dead ugly on most occasions, but I did discover German
songs which did sound nice to my ear. Still, those are exceptions rather
than the rule :)) .

>   Right now, I'm trying to get a handle again
>on German.

I don't even want to try it until my command of Dutch is better. Right now,
I would confuse them too much :)) .

Christophe Grandsire.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr