Christophe Grandsire scripsit:

> Actually, it's the contrary. The character Astérix was named after the
> French name for the * symbol: "astérisque", just like Obélix has its name
> from "obélisque". People don't usually make a mistake in the ending
> (-isque
> is quite a common French ending, -ix is definitely foreign).

Is "obelisque" the common name in French for U+2020, the cross-shaped
symbol that is usually called a "dagger" (but occasionally an "obelisk")
in English?

All /sk/ went to /S/ in English long ago, and then we borrowed a raft of
words in /sk/- from Norse, but we still have trouble pronouncing /sk/
finally:  hence /"&st@r\Ik/ ~ /"&st@r\Iks/ is very common, and
many dialects have /&ks/ for "ask".  (But "risk" is not commonly changed.)

--
John Cowan  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com  [log in to unmask]
In might the Feanorians / that swore the unforgotten oath